Saturday, October 4, 2008

Lectio Divina - Seven


Paul Tillich, "You Are Accepted" in The Essential Paul Tillich: An Anthology of the Writings of Paul Tillich, ed. F. Forrester Church, Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1987, p. 201.


You are accepted. You are accepted, accepted by that which is greater than you, and the name of which you do not know. Do not ask for the name now; perhaps you will find it later. Do not try to do anything now; perhaps later you will do much. Do not seek for anything; do not perform anything; do not intend anything. Simply accept the fact that you are accepted! If that happens to us, we experience grace.


2 comments:

Lindsay Boyer said...

Lectio divina is traditionally done with scripture, but we can hear the voice of God speaking to us through other writings as well. I cannot hear these words enough. They are like a healing drink, helping me to accept myself, to accept others, to accept all that is.

Dear Lord, help me to accept myself, to accept others, to accept and receive all that you have given me.

Leighm said...

This passage reminds me of the power and joy that comes with simply basking in God's love. I do not always need to strain to understand and decide and achieve. God's love is ever-present, ever-loving, ever-transforming.

Loving God, help me learn to let go.