Saturday, October 11, 2008

Lectio Divina - Eight


from Psalm 13, adapted by Stephen Mitchell. A Book of Psalms: Selected and Adapted from the Hebrew. New York: HarperCollins, 1993.



How long will this pain go on, Lord,

this grief I can hardly bear?

How long will anguish grip me

and agony wring my mind?

Light up my eyes with your presence;

let me feel your love in my bones.

Keep me from losing myself

in ignorance and despair.

Teach me to be patient, Lord;

teach me to be endlessly patient.

Let me trust that your love enfolds me

when my heart feels desolate and dry.

I will sing to the Lord at all times,

even from the depths of pain.



2 comments:

Lindsay Boyer said...

The psalms remind us that we don't have to wait until we are no longer in pain to pray to God.

Dear God, help me to remember you and turn to you. Help me not to be distracted from your presence by pain and confusion.

Leighm said...

I read this and think how easy it is to speak to God when my heart is joyful, and how hard it is when I feel empty and lost. I am reminded that I can bring my deepest despair to God and offer my prayers when I am not at my best.

Loving God, help me to reach out to you when I am hurting the most.