Sunday, October 19, 2008

Lectio Divina - Nine


A Prayer from Ghana, from Desmond Tutu, An African Prayer Book (New York: Doubleday, 1995) p.122.



Cover Me with the Night


Come, Lord,

and cover me with the night.

Spread your grace over us

as you assured us you would do.


Your promises are more than

all the stars in the sky;

your mercy is deeper than the night.

Lord, it will be cold.

The night comes with its breath of death.

Night comes; the end comes; you come.


Lord, we wait for you

day and night.




2 comments:

Lindsay Boyer said...

This passage expresses an acceptance of God's presence that is both comforting and bleak. It helps me to feel a sense of acceptance of all that is.

Leighm said...

This prayer makes me feel like I am not alone with my fears. It is helpful to me to be reminded that we are waiting together - hoping, fearing, clinging to each other and learning to put our trust in God.

Lord, give me comfort, and please help me to better love and accept love. Help me to confront my fears with assistance from others.