Sunday, September 28, 2008

Lectio Divina - Six


Exodus 3:13-15, from the NRSV version of the Bible.


But Moses said to God, “If I come to the Israelites and say to them, ‘The God of your ancestors has sent me to you,’ and they ask me, ‘What is his name?’ what shall I say to them?”


God said to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM.” He said further, “Thus you shall say to the Israelites, ‘I AM has sent me to you.’”


God also said to Moses, “Thus you shall say to the Israelites, ‘The LORD, the God of your ancestors, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you’: This is my name forever, and this my title for all generations.


2 comments:

Lindsay Boyer said...

This is an intimate moment, when God tells Moses his name. God's name, "I AM," calls us into full being, inviting us to become who we truly are. And yet this name remains very mysterious.

Loving God, help us to be who you are calling us to be.

Leighm said...

Reading this passage I feel challenged to understand God in ways that go beyond labels, beyond what I think I know.

God, help me to see you everywhere and in everything.