Sunday, September 7, 2008

Lectio Divina - Three


This passage is from the great Sufi poet Rumi, pages 155-6 of The Essential Rumi, translated by Coleman Barks:

Love Dogs


One night a man was cryiing,

Allah! Allah!

His lips grew sweet with the praising,

until a cynic said,

“So! I have heard you

calling out, but have you ever

gotten any response?”


The man had no answer to that.

He quit praying and fell into a confused sleep.


He dreamed he saw Khidr, the guide of souls,

in a thick, green foliage.

“Why did you stop praising?”

“Because I’ve never heard anything back.”

“This longing

you express is the return message.”


The grief you cry out from

draws you toward union.


Your pure sadness

that wants help

is the secret cup.


Listen to the moaning of a dog for its master.

That whining is the connection.


There are love dogs

no one knows the names of.


Give your life

to be one of them.



2 comments:

Lindsay Boyer said...

Dear God, please help us to value our longing for you.
Help us to keep yearning for you and struggling towards you.

Kathy said...

Let me jump into your lap and place my ears beneath your hands to be stroked the way my dog does. See me, attend to me, love me.