Sunday, April 26, 2009

Lectio Divina - Thirty-six


Henri Nouwen. The Only Necessary Thing: Living a Prayerful Life. New York: Crossroad, 1999, p. 30.

It is God’s passionate pursuit of us that calls us to prayer. Prayer comes from God’s initiative, not ours. It might sound shocking, but it is biblical to say: God wants us more than we want God!

So who is more in need of our prayers: we or God? God is. Who wants to be heard most: we or God? God does. And who “suffers” more from our lack of prayer: we or God? I say it in awe but without fear: God does.


2 comments:

Lindsay Boyer said...

Loving God, help me to feel you drawing me towards you and help me to surrender to your call, allowing myself to be enfolded in you through prayer.

Jeanne said...

"So who is more in need of our prayers: we or God? God is."

Wow, this is an awesome thought. I have very often heard the opposite said, that God does not need our prayers, but that we need to pray.

Either way, God, draw me to You closer, closer, please. Awomen.