Sunday, November 9, 2008

Lectio Divina - Twelve


Jeremiah 1:4-10, from the NRSV translation of the bible


Now the word of the LORD came to me saying, “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you; I appointed you a prophet to the nations.” Then I said, “Ah, Lord GOD! Truly I do not know how to speak, for I am only a boy.” But the LORD said to me, “Do not say, ‘I am only a boy’; for you shall go to all to whom I send you, and you shall speak whatever I command you. Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you to deliver you, says the LORD.” Then the LORD put out his hand and touched my mouth; and the LORD said to me, “Now I have put my words in your mouth. See, today I appoint you over nations and over kingdoms, to pluck up and to pull down, to destroy and to overthrow, to build and to plant.”




2 comments:

Lindsay Boyer said...

I have been very drawn lately to the passages in which God calls his prophets and they resist. They have a lot of excuses, and so do I. I've been very aware lately of the ways in which I resist God's call.

Dear God, please help me to let go of my fear, resistance and excuses. Help me to trust that you will touch me and put the words in my mouth.

Anonymous said...

Dear God, I AM of my soul, thank you for caring so very much for me, for us individually, as you revealed to Jeremiah, explaining that you know who we are even before we are. Take away our constraining fears, please, that we may trust you, your strength, your loving power, to guide us and fortify us with your very being, your I AM, in sending us out into the world to do the work that you have prepared for us to do. Help me not be afraid. Thank you for loving me. Help me to love you fully too. Awomen.