Monday, August 15, 2011

Lectio Divina - One hundred and sixteen


Exodus 3:11-14


Moses said to God, “Who am I that I should go to Pharaoh, and bring the Israelites out of Egypt?”


He said, “I will be with you; and this shall be the sign for you that it is I who sent you: when you have brought the people out of Egypt, you shall worship God on this mountain.”


But Moses said to God, “If I come to the Israelites and say to them, ‘The God of your ancestors has sent me to you,’ and they ask me, ‘What is his name?’ what shall I say to them?”


God said to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM.” He said further, “Thus you shall say to the Israelites, ‘I AM has sent me to you.’”


2 comments:

Lindsay Boyer said...

When I read these words, spoken by God, “I AM WHO I AM,” I feel the presence of a strange I-am-ness in me. It’s like a seed being planted within me, or a voice calling to something deep inside me. In the beginning, at creation, God called us into being with a word, and here is a word that is asking us to rise up, to leave behind our deadness, our stuckness, and become what we truly are. I reach out with my I AM to the I AM of God.

Jeanne said...

Does it get any more elemental than this, I Am Who I Am? Oh God/ess, draw me into your being, that we may share existence together in divine and human connection, each as we are, together.