Thursday, May 5, 2011

Lectio Divina - One hundred and eight


Stephen Mitchell, A Book of Psalms, Selected and Adapted from the Hebrew. New York: HarperPerennial, 1993, 4.


Even in the midst of great pain, Lord,

I praise you for that which is.

I will not refuse this grief

or close myself to this anguish.

Let shallow men pray for ease:

“Comfort us; shield us from sorrow.”

I pray for whatever you send me,

and I ask to receive it as your gift.

You have put a joy in my heart

greater than all the world’s riches.

I lie down trusting the darkness,

for I know that even now you are here.



1 comment:

Lindsay Boyer said...

The psalms, the great prayers of scripture, invite us to feel all our emotions and to experience life in all its richness and texture, including feelings that we might be tempted to push away. When we expand to include all of these emotions, we become more fully ourselves.

Even in the midst of great pain, I praise you, God, for all that is. I open my heart to all that you bring me. Thank you for the richness, complexity, and strangeness of life.