Monday, February 28, 2011

Lectio Divina - One hundred and three


Parker J. Palmer, Let Your Life Speak: Listening for the Voice of Vocation (San Francisco: John Wiley & Sons, 2000), 55.


If we are to live our lives fully and well, we must learn to embrace the opposites, to live in a creative tension between our limits and our potentials. We must honor our limitations in ways that do not distort our nature, and we must trust and use our gifts in ways that fulfill the potentials God gave us. We must take the no of the way that closes and find the guidance it has to offer -- and take the yes of the way that opens and respond with the yes of our lives.


1 comment:

Lindsay Boyer said...

What a dance it is to find the place where I am meant to be! I feel so much tension as I try to live in the yes, while accepting the no. I struggle to avoid being crushed by what I find myself unable to do. I want to be here now without rushing forward into the future, yet maintain a sense of possibility. I like Parker Palmer’s use of the word “creative” in this passage. It is a creative act to grow large enough to contain all these tensions within myself, holding all the richness of life, accepting what is without ceasing to grow.