Friday, November 19, 2010

Lectio Divina - Ninety-six


The Gospel of Luke 10:38-42


Now as they went on their way, Jesus entered a certain village, where a woman named Martha welcomed him into her home. She had a sister named Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet and listened to what he was saying. But Martha was distracted by her many tasks; so she came to him and asked, “Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to do all the work by myself? Tell her then to help me.” But the Lord answered her, “Martha, Martha, you are worried and distracted by many things; there is need of only one thing. Mary has chosen the better part, which will not be taken away from her.”


2 comments:

Lindsay Boyer said...

The world values constant work and busyness, but this gospel story asserts the value of the contemplative life and encourages me to spend time listening for the voice of the sacred in my life. It can be very frightening to do this when others see my quietness as a waste of time, or when voices in my own head are telling me that there are a lot of other things I could be doing. But without that quiet time for prayer, meditation, or just sitting still, how will I hear that mysterious voice welling up and reminding me of what is really important? My efforts in the world may be futile if they are not rooted in the deep listening that helps me to know what my real work is.

Jeanne said...

What is the better part? How will I know it? Jesus, please tell me, as I make time with You.