Sunday, May 23, 2010

Lectio Divina - Eighty-Four


Martin Buber, Between Man and Man, trans. by Ronald Gregor Smith (London: Kegan Paul, 1947), p. 184.


I have occasionally described my standpoint to my friends as the “narrow ridge.” I wanted by this to express that I did not rest on the broad upland of a system that includes a series of sure statements about the absolute, but on a narrow rocky ridge between the gulfs where there is no sureness of expressible knowledge but the certainty of meeting what remains undisclosed.


2 comments:

Lindsay Boyer said...

Living on what Martin Buber calls the “narrow ridge” is a lot of work. I would love to know once and for all what God wants from me. But even if I feel certain about it for a moment, I can be sure that it will change over time, and that I must continue the work of interpretation and discernment with which I try to know God’s mystery.

Loving God, help me to live without certainty or sure statements in your mystery, constantly turning myself towards you in order to know whatever may be known about you and your will. Help me to root myself in prayer and to turn to others in my community who may guide me and help me to listen for your voice.

Jeanne said...

This quote describes my faith experience too.