Saturday, January 23, 2010

Lectio Divina - Seventy-Three


Carmina Gadelica, quoted in Esther de Waal, The Celtic Way of Prayer: The Recovery of the Religious Imagination. London: Hodder & Stoughton, 2003, p.33-4.


God, kindle Thou in my heart within

A flame of love to my neighbor,

To my foe, to my friend, to my kindred all,

To the brave, to the knave, to the thrall,

O Son of the loveliest Mary,

From the lowliest thing that liveth,

To the Name that is highest of all.

O Son of the loveliest Mary,

From the lowliest thing that liveth,

To the Name that is highest of all.


2 comments:

Lindsay Boyer said...

We may be waiting for a time when all the things we don’t like about the world are changed. This lovely Celtic prayer reminds us that change comes from within our own hearts, when we find ourselves able to love all and everything, “From the lowliest thing that liveth, To the Name that is highest of all.”

Loving God, please light the fire in my heart that will enable me to burn with love for all your creation, not just what seems worthy to my limited outlook. Help me find the flame of love within me for what seems lowly to me.

Jeanne said...

Creator, Redeemer and Sustainer of all that Is, You have been described as Love itself. Help me to understand what that means. How do we love the people we feel hate toward? Kindle in us love, like a fire that consumes whatever blocks us from Your will, which is good and whole, so far beyond our understanding, that we can only ask, Help!?