Sunday, August 9, 2009

Lectio Divina - Fifty-one


Frank Ostaseski, Founder & Director Metta Institute, Five Precepts

The Fifth Precept: Cultivate Don’t-Know Mind

This describes a mind that’s open and receptive. A mind that’s not limited by agendas, roles and expectations. The great Zen teacher Suzuki Roshi, was fond of saying, “In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few.”

From this vantage point we realize that “not knowing is most intimate.” Understanding this we stay very close to the experience allowing the situation itself to inform our actions. We listen carefully to our own inner voice, sensing our urges, trusting our intuition. We learn to look with fresh eyes.


2 comments:

Lindsay Boyer said...

Loving God, help me to let go of all that is not you, living with a mind that is always ready to hear your voice, open and receptive to your reality. Help me to welcome not knowing, entering into intimacy with you and my deepest self.

Jeanne said...

Dear God/ess, Give me new eyes and a spirit of fond acceptance about not knowing. Help me embrace what I do not know. Help me to trust your knowing and my not so much.