Monday, June 29, 2009

Lectio Divina - Forty-Five


Augustine, Confessions. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991, p.73


You alone are always present even to those who have taken themselves far from you. . . Let them turn, and at once you are there in their heart - in the heart of those who make confession to you and throw themselves upon you and weep on your breast after traveling many rough paths.  Where was I when I was seeking for you? You were there before me, but I had departed from myself.  I could not even find myself, much less you.



2 comments:

Lindsay Boyer said...

Loving God, I so often allow myself to become separated from you and from myself. Help me to notice the ways in which I am separating myself and help me to remember again and again to turn towards you, to remember that you are there, present with me always.

Jeanne said...

God of my understanding, thank you for going before me, leading me always back to you, alongside you, even when I attempt to overtake you in my false pride. Thank you for always being with me, no matter how I behave. Thank you for wanting my company at least as much as I long for yours.