Sunday, January 18, 2009

Lectio Divina - Twenty-two


Stephen Mitchell. A Book of Psalms: Selected and Adapted from the Hebrew. New York: HarperCollins, 1993. Psalm 139


Lord, you have searched me and known me;

you understand everything I do;

you are closer to me than my thoughts.

You see through my selfishness and weakness,

into my inmost self.

There is not one corner of my mind

that you do not know completely.

You are present before me, behind me,

and you hold me in the palm of your hand.

Such knowledge is too awesome to grasp:

so deep that I cannot fathom it.



2 comments:

Lindsay Boyer said...

The intimacy that is possible with God can be terrifying. It is no wonder we have so much trouble opening ourselves to God. Yet when we are able to break through our fear and feel how God is holding is in the palm of God's hand, how comforting and life-giving this can be.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, God for caring about me so much as to search me and know me; I am so grateful that you understand everything I do; I myself do not always understand what I do. Oh! That I might feel your closeness and believe wholeheartedly that you see through my selfishness and weakness, into my inmost self, and declare me lovable, wholly yours.

Pleaes enter every corner of my mind that I might know you completely, too. May I recognize your presence today before me, behind me, and as you hold me in the palm of your hand. I am yours, thank you so much!